Saturday, January 29, 2011

It may have been lifted but is it fair?

I'm referring to the "don't ask, dont't tell 2 policy, in the US military.  So, gays and lesbians are now allowed to come out, and do so without any worry of repercussions, this is a good thing... a very good thing.  However, in my mind they are still been singled out from every other man and woman that will proudly serve their country, and because of this, I feel they will not be readily accepted by their battle buddies, despite us now being in the 21st century.

How they are being singled out?  Their life partners are not afforded the same courtesy and respect as "conventional" couples are.  They are not entitled to benefits, medical, commissary and BX priviledges ( not that they are missing out there), housing or any kind of support should their partner lose their life in the line of duty.  I'm sorry Mr. Obama, but this is worng!  Just because many states in America do not recognise same sex marriage (and again I'd like to point out we are living in the 21c), does not mean they are any less of a couple than different sex marriages.  In fact, if you'd done your homework, you'd realise that same sex couples are more faithful, have more surplus money to spend, after investments, and are less likely to cause to property damage.

I wish there were a way you could explain to this Army wife, why my friends same sex partner, who has been in this "Army" game as long as I have, is not entitled to the same level of respect as I am.  And please, how will you handle things the day the CAO have to tell them about the loss of their loved one?

No comments:

Post a Comment